What treatment should be done for snoring problem?

ENT Specialist
I have snoring problem as reported by my friend who slept with me recently. I usually been alone for the last 5 years and not aware about it. What are the remedeis and action plan to address this issue as i a am getting married soon.
Posted Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should see an ENT Specialist. Get a Sleep Study done. Get your nose and throat examined by a flexible video-nasopharyngoscope. What is your weight and BMI (Body Mass index) ?

2. While it is normal for any body to snore once in a while when tired, if the Sleep Study shows more than 30 apneic episodes in 8 hours of sleep, each episode lasting longer than 30 seconds, then an OSAS (Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome) commonly known as snoring is present. A Sleep MRI (dynamic, cine MRI) may help understand the exact level of the obstruction which causes the snoring.

3. Do you have daytime sleepiness? lack of sleep at night due to constant waking up leads to excessive daytime sleepiness.

4. Kindly let me know the results of your tests. This will help in suggesting further treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.