What treatment should be done for lower back pain?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
lower back pain I have pain in lower back when I move or walking it is sharp and then goes away I don't feel it when sitting or lying in one position

Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later

Common causes of low back pain are-

Poor postural habits
Muscular strain
Ligaments sprain
Herniated disc
Spinal stenosis

To allow me to help you better, please let me know if you also have any of the following complaints:
- Pain radiating to lower limbs
- Parasthesia and numbness in lower limb
- Weakness in lower limbs
- Back pain develops after lifting heavy weight or strenuous activity
- Pain associated with stiffness in your back
- Pain aggravated on forward bending
- Pain in other joints

Also let me know duration of pain (from how long you are suffering from this pain) and your age

Once I have these answers, we would be able to discuss the treatment better.

Awaiting your reply...

Follow-up: What treatment should be done for lower back pain? 33 hours later
Yes it is worse after lifting weight
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

It seems you might be having lumbar muscle strain.

A muscle strain happens when the muscle is over-stretched or torn, resulting in damage to the muscle fibers. Low back strain can be caused by:

•     Extreme physical exertion.
•     Bending or crouching repeatedly.
•     Lifting heavy objects if you are not in shape.
•     It can also be caused by emotional stress, improper posture, being overweight, out of shape, or sitting in the same position for long periods of time.

When the muscles or ligaments in the low back are strained or torn, the area around the muscles will usually become inflamed. The inflammation leads to back spasm, and it is the back spasm that can cause both severe lower back pain and difficulty moving.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance to rule out arthritic changes or any other bony pathology.

Meanwhile I would suggest the following measures:

Bed rest for two days. This will allow the inflammation to subside and control the symptoms of muscle spasm.

You can take anti-inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxant after discussing with your doctor.

You require physical Therapy/Exercises: Proper conditioning is important to both avoid this type of problem and recover from this injury. By stretching and strengthening the back muscles, you will help control the inflammation and better condition the lumbar back muscles.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.