What treatment should be done for fever, sore throat and vomiting?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
hi.. my mom not well due to she is puked continuously today she cant able to eat any of the foods she is totally lost all of her strength help me what to do now .. she is having fever, and got sore throat.. this is 3 or 4 time since by three weeks ..
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 54 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Since your mother is having fever, sore throat and vomiting, it is likely that she is having some infection. The probable cause for her continuous vomiting may be a acute gastro-enteritis.

Now, continuous vomiting can often lead to dehydration and salt loss. These problems can then result in other serious complications. So, the most important thing to do is to ensure that she is hydrated well. I would suggest that you keep giving her Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) to replenish the water ans salt loss. If she is having a lot of nausea, then she can take small sips frequently. In addition you can also give her an antacid to control the hyper-acidity because of poor food intake.

However, if the vomiting is continuous and severe, then she may need iv fluids and further treatment to control her vomiting and fever. Moreover, since you have mentioned that she has been having these symptoms 3 -4 times in the last 3 weeks, it is better to get a proper evaluation done, in order to find out what the exact problem is. So, I would advise you to take her to a hospital for an evaluation and further treatment.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist