What treatment is suggested for typhoid in a 5 year old child ?

hi doctor my 5 year old niece has been diagnosed with typhoid . Is is something very worrying?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 39 minutes later

Thanks for posting you query.

Absolutely there is no reason to worry.

Typhoid most commonly occurs due to infection with salmonella typhi,which is commonly spread by contaminated food and water.

Please ask her to take good amount of rest.Normal domestic food,light in nature,avoiding too much of oil and spices is to be given.

Give her more of liquids like fruit juices,vegetable soups,lemon water is good and will give her good stamina.

Along with all this regular course of antibiotics as prescribed your doctor is must.Please complete full course as advised.

In case of complaints like abdominal pain,vomiting,blood in stool or high grade fever
please speak to your doctor.

After she gets completely cured,please discuss with your doctor about typhoid vaccine to prevent relapse and reinfection.

I hope this answers your query,I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: What treatment is suggested for typhoid in a 5 year old child ? 27 minutes later
Is there any particular medicine that you would recommend or advise avoidance considering that she is only 4+.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 22 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

There are various antibiotics are used to treat typhoid fever in pediatrics.

The choice of antibiotics depends upon the sensitivity in that area,severity of disease and preference of doctor.

It is always better that antibiotic is prescribed by your doctor only,please discuss this with him,after considering above points ,he will give antibiotic as per her weight.