What treatment do you suggest for a hurt toe with the broken nail ?

ENT Specialist
I dropped a number 10 (big, restaurant sized) can on my right big toe last year, and it took a long time for the nail to grow back, and I still have pain with it. Last night, someone stepped on my toe and my whole new nail came loose from the bed, but it is still on. How should I treat it? I have washed and cleaned and wrapped it twice since.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

From your history it is clear that you have encountered with repeated trauma over your nail.

Actually, the nail receives its blood supply from its bed and it is called as nail bed. The nail will always continue to grow, until it is attached to its bed, but in conditions like trauma, if it separates from its bed, then it will stop growing and will start necrosing.

In your case during the first episode of trauma, the nail was not completely separated from its bed, so it regained its supply. Again you get the trauma at the same place that loosened your nail from its bed.

What you will have to do now--

1-Apply some antibiotic cream over it after cleaning it thoroughly and do apply dressing. Change the dressing every day.

2- Take a pain killer, if the pain persists.

3- If at any time the pain and swelling increases suddenly, then consult a general surgeon.

Dont worry, it will regain its supply with in next 7 days.

Hope this will help you and I am ready for future follow ups , if any.

Follow-up: What treatment do you suggest for a hurt toe with the broken nail ? 39 minutes later
Should the dressing be tight, or just enough to secure and cover to keep it clean? How long do you suggest I keep it covered and wrapped for?

Also, I skate in roller derby, which is an aggressive on skates sport in which I play the position that requires speed and much push and pressure on my feet/skates. When do you suggest I get back to skating? When the pain or pressure subsides? I have practice Monday and intend to sit out, but I'm hoping within a week I could see what it feels like to put my skates on again.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 55 minutes later
Hi again,

Yes, the dressing should not be too tight, otherwise it may hamper the blood supply of that area.

you may join your job, after your pain and swelling subsides, atleast after 2 days.

hope it will help you.