What treatment do you suggest for a bad throat ?

I am Male aged 38. I had a bad throat and was given Azithromicin 250 and Desloratadine tablets. However there is no improvement and i find traces of blood when i spit mucus out. Should i continue, increase dosage or use alternates. I have been taking medication for the last 3 days. Fell ill 4 days back.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thanks for the Query.

I Would like to know few more things here, so that I can suggest you better:
1.) What exactly are your Symptoms?
2.) Since how long do you have it?
3.) Do you have fever?
4.) Do you have difficulty in swallowing?
5.) Do you have Hoarseness of Voice?

Your history suggests, you have a Sore throat, secondary to either:
1.) Viral Infection
2.) Streptococcal Pharyngitis
3.) Allergies
4.) Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).

Kindly don't worry as it is not at all serious, and it is easily treatable. You will have to consult an ENT Specialist and get yourself examined to rule out the exact cause.

To confirm it, your treating Doctor will do a Physical examination and do a blood work up and tests including:
1.) Complete Blood Count (CBC)
2.) Throat Swab (If necessary)
3.) Allergy Tests.

Once confirmed, your Doctor will Prescribe you antibiotics, since Azithromycin 250mg is not working for you, he/she shall increase the dose or prescribe you another group of antibiotics. Just stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

In addition to this, bring in some lifestyle changes:
1.) Get adequate rest
2.) Drink plenty of water to keep your throat hydrated
3.) Do salt water gargles several times a day
4.) Use a cool air humidifier at home
5.) Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption.
6.) Wear a filtering face mask when cleaning to avoid inhaling dust from cleaning products.
7.) Exercise regularly and Maintain a Healthy weight.
8.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
9.) Avoid stress

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.
Follow-up: What treatment do you suggest for a bad throat ? 1 hour later
Answering your questions:
1.) What exactly are your Symptoms?
A> Fever, Bodyache, Throat pain. All are better now. Today sore throat is also a little better.

2.) Since how long do you have it?
A> 4 days. Under medication for 3 days.

3.) Do you have fever?
Yes, I had fever- upto 102 degrees that came under control with Dolo 650.

5.) Do you have Hoarseness of Voice?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 8 minutes later

Thank you for Writing back.

Your Follow up information suggests you are having a Viral Infection causing Pharyngitis and the symptoms are coming down in severity and you are on the road to recovery gradually. Good Luck.

Kindly don't worry, as I told you earlier, speak to your ENT Specialist so that he/she may re examine you and increase the dose of antibiotics or change it if deemed necessary, your treating Doctor will know better. Let him/her also rule out if you have Tonsillitis.

Just stick to your treatment plan, Follow the lifestyle changes which i have suggested and get Adequate rest.

Wish you Good Health and speedy recovery.

Take Care and Regards,