What treatment can I take for severe abdominal pain with swelling and blood in stools ?

Hello, I am 30 years old. I have had abdominal pain and lots of swelling for 6 weeks and blood in stool everyday for the past 10 days. I am waiting to see a gastroentorologist and have a consultation in 9 days. My abdomen and left side is in a lot of pain and I don't think I can make another 9 days like this, because I am in constant pain. Pain killers increase the bleeding so I have stopped taking them. I have lost weight and today when I tried to eat baby food I felt like vomiting. I really want a diagnosis, is the ER the right place to go?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 34 minutes later

Having constant pain in the abdomen, is something which surely mandates immediate attention.

Abdominal pain and passing blood in stools could mean these causes :

1.Inflammatory bowel diseases: ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease .These being the two common causes for such a presentation , due to inflammation in the colonic mucosa, ulcers develop all over causing blood in stools.

2.Colorectal Polyps: these are benign growths which may turn malignant , a significant family history could be a contributing factor here , this may need screening and further assessment.

3. Bacterial Gastroenteritis: due to a chronic infection in the intestine ,one may have weight loss, pain abdomen and bloody stools

4.E .Coli enteritis: an inflammation caused by the parasite E coli.

5.Diverticulitis ; presents similarly with all the above symptoms

6. Ischemic Colitis : This is an acute bowel condition due to lack of blood circulation , causing swelling , unbearable pain and needs very early intervention

7.Colorectal cancer :though a rare possibility at your age , I would still recommend an investigation to rule out the chances .

All the conditions I listed above are a few possibilities which I can relate to reading your history, any of them may cause loss of appetite and vomiting due to
on going infection or inflammation and obstruction.Diagnosis can only be concluded after an examination of the abdomen and an Ultrasound, colonoscopy and similar investigations.

Taking pain killers may cause further inflammation and aggravate the ulcers and worsen the bleeding.

Since all the above causes need an examination and investigations , I can say visiting the ER will certainly help you , early treatment and prevention of complications is what I would always suggest, than suffering with the pain for 9 more days .

I hope I answered your questions , I am available to answer your follow uo queries as well.