What treatment can I take for recurring arm with a hard lump ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have spondylysis. I had been having pain in my arm for 1 week now. This h s been a recurring pain. I happened to run my hand on my left upper arm earlier this week and i found this hard lump. This is on the side. The only way you can feel it is if i stretch my arm to the righ in front of my chest and look for it away from the joint. My GP says its a muscle spasm and gave me medicine and asked me to do hot formentation. Its been 3 days and the lump is still there. The lump is sore to touch. I have a dull ache in my arm. I am worried though
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 9 hours later

I would like to know a few more things which will help me in answering you better:
1.Did you suffer with any injury to your arm in recent past?
2.Is the lump bony hard or soft in consistency?
3.Is it Painful on touch and associated with fever?
4.Do you suffer with any diagnosed medical conditions?
5.Were any investigations done? If yes, please state the reports in your reply or can scan and mail your reply to YYYY@YYYY with subject:ATTN Dr. Sangeet

Please reply as the lump could be anything from a mild hematoma to a bony tumour and requires complete evaluation.

Awaiting your reply to help you better.
Follow-up: What treatment can I take for recurring arm with a hard lump ? 2 hours later
I did not suffer from any injury. Though I had been sleeping on that side for sometime.

The lump is hard not exactly bony hard though. But it is not soft.

It is slightly painful to touch. And I have a dull ache in my hand.

I do not have fever. No other investigations done. Doc continues to say its muscular and has given more medicines.
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 19 hours later

Based on the description provided by you, I am of the opinion that its not a bony swelling. And is not related with cervical spondylosis.

The most common possibilities according to your symptoms are:
1. Lipoma- extra fat tissue which wasn't noticed earlier.
2. Nerve tumor- less likely
3. Haematoma- (collection of blood clot within the muscle) less likely if you didn't have any trauma there.
4.Bursitis - it is the inflammation of the Bursa which is supportive tissue present under the joints.

If its muscle spasm, rest, prescribed analgesics and cold fomentation would help.
If it doesn't subside in a week's time, it would be advisable to get examined an Ultrasound/MRI to rule out the above mentioned causes.

Hope this answers your question. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.