What treatment can I take for a sore throat which worsens in the night ?

I've had a sore throat for about five days now. It gets worse at night, but is noticeable all day. The pain is mainly in the left top of the mouth (in the palate) but is also under the left side of my tongue and is painful in that side of the tongue when moved.

I used a light to look in my mouth tonight and it looks like there is about a pencil eraser size indent in the left palate of my mouth, and when gargling with hot water it appears there may be some very small traces of blood.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 4 hours later

With the description you have given here, I am of the opinion that this could be ulcers in the oral cavity. They present in various places in the oral cavity, which includes the palate, the area under the tongue,mucosa of the cheek, etc.The ulcers can bleed too due to infection , friction or when touched by food particles or water splashes.

Since you have had a sore throat recently, it is common for any infection to cause ulcers in the mouth.They are expected to heal in a few days when your completely cured of the sore throat.

Multivitamin deficiencies, smoking,alcohol and consuming spicy food could also be the cause.Since you are taking multivitamin supplements, it is good to continue the same regularly.

Meanwhile I suggest you to continue the hot water saline gargles frequently. You may try using a Mouth Ulcer Gel like METROGYL Gel .You must see a doctor for a prescription of the same. Maintain good oral hygiene and drink lot of fluids and water daily. Avoid very hot drinks , tea, coffee for a few days till they heal fully.
You can take an over the counter pain killer like IBUPROFEN for the pain.If the sore throat does not come down and the pain worsens you may need to get an examination done form an ENT specialist and start antibiotics for the same.

I expect you to recover in a couple of weeks .

Hope I answered your query. I am available for follow ups as well.