What to do to avoid secondary infection after measles?

General Surgeon
My 1 yr old son got measles last satur day. He had fever for three days and then hé got the rash. Now the rash has almost faded. Today her nanny has developed a painful swollen gland below her jaw. He has been in her care all week. Now i am scared of secondary infection. What to do. Please help.
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: No cause for concern Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXX Measles usually causes following manifestation along with rash 1. Cough 2. Coryza or common cold 3. Conjunctivitis. It usually does not cause swelling below the jaw the swelling below the jaw in nanny could either be lymph node or submandibular salivary gland and is unrelated to infection due to Measles. Also majority of adults develop immunity to Measles either due to vaccination or naturally acquired immunity. The nany could possibly be immune to Measles. As your son has developed resolution of rash which implies clinical cure. There is no cause for concern. . Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow-up: What to do to avoid secondary infection after measles? 3 minutes later
Hello doctor, Thank you for your prompt reply. But my concern was that the nanny has some infection like sore throat or mumps (my son is yet to get his MMR, he got measles just a week before MMR was due) and my son who is in the convalescent stage and weak physically will catch that infection from her and become ill again. is there something I could do to prevent that? Thanks for your time.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be mumps Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Mumps usually causes enlargement of Parotid Salivary gland and the swelling is just in front of the per your description the swelling is below the jaw line and is likely to be due to submandibular lymph node enlargement that could possible be due to pharyngitis in case she has sore throat. If she has sore throat and other symptoms of respiratory tract infection it is advisable to start her on antibiotic like Tablet Azithromycin 500mg once a day for three days . It is advisable not to actively involve her for couple of days in care of baby. Wearing mask is advisable. Also warm saline gargling will be helpful if she has sore throat. I hope I have cleared your doubt. Do write to me if you need any further guidance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak