What to do incase you take an overdose of paracetamol ?

I am 27 years, 170cm, 72kg.
I have been having fever, headache and soar throat so for past 16 hrs for every 4 hr I have been taking 2 tablets of 500mg paracetamol. So in total 10 tablets. After reading the description I found that 8 is the maximum and should not exceed the limit. Am I in any danger. It also contained 65mg of caffeine
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 32 minutes later

Paracetamol dosage varies among individuals and the status of the liver. Generally in a normal adult, the doses should not exceed 3-4 gms per day. You have exceeded the dose by taking 10 tabs that is 5gms.

If you have exceeded the dosage just once, you should be ok; but please don't continue that.
You should stick with 3-4 gms(max) in a day. Don't take it on an empty stomach.

At present I doubt you are in danger, but repeated overdosing can cause liver dysfunction.

Please see a doctor and get antibiotics for the throat infection. XXXXXXX steam inhalation three or four times a day is another effective treatment for the current problem.

Hope this helps. Should you have any more concerns, I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: What to do incase you take an overdose of paracetamol ? 12 minutes later
Ok so for next 8 hrs until 24 hrs has passed I should not take any more paracetamol, right.

I have been unable to sleep whole night. Is it because of the medication, as it contained caffeine (which means I have taken 650mg of it).

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 27 minutes later
Hi and thanks again,

Yes, you shouldn't take anymore paracetamol till 24hrs are over.

The caffeine can cause the agitation; but the infection and stress also might have some part in that.
Stay of the paracetamol and try to sleep.

The effects should wear off soon. Hydrate your self well to flush out the excess drugs from your system.

Hope my answer is adequate and useful.

Wish you healthy and speedy recovery.