What to do if triglyeride is elevated?

What to do if your triglyeride is high (187)
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 40 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query,

Your triglycerides are mildly elevated. We normally like to see these below 150.

Lots of things raise triglycerides including - fat in the diet, elevated blood sugar and obesity. The best way to approach this is to limit intake of high carbohydrate foods, sugars and animal fats. Increase frequency and intensity of aerobic exercise as well and this will have a favorable impact on your triglycerides as well.

It would be reasonable to check the level again in 6 months. If still elevated or higher, your doctor ay discuss medication which may help improve the levels.

Thanks again for the query, Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Dr. Galamaga