What to do if getting back pain caused by large hard mass under skin between hip and rib cage?

I have pain in my back on my lower right side. Have had for some time. Last week I detected a large hard mass well under my skin and between my right hip and my rib cage. Seems to have a well rounded surface and is very hard. Nothing like it in the same location on my left side? Thought it might be a bone, but seems to be an inch or two below the rib cage.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, seek medical consultation. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about your pains and all the troubling thoughts that the finding of this mass has caused you. I very much hope together we would find solutions to this. From the description you have given, if the mass is for real confirmed, it could be a mass originating from the structures located in this area which include the bones, muscles, liver and kidneys. The exact origin can only be determined after obtaining some more information. It could be a simple mass or a more concerning one. But only investigations would help us discern. Considering the above, it would be very difficult to offer real solutions to you without a proper consultation, physical exam and investigations. You would most likely need x-rays and an ultrasound as preliminary imaging studies. Depending on the findings, you may need to do some more specialized tests like CT scan/MRI, etc. Treatment would depend on what the final diagnosis is. I will suggest that you get an appointment to consult with your primary care physician. He/she would get the preliminaries and if need be, refer you to specialist for further care. I hope this guides you on how to go about this. Am sorry it is not straight forward and conclusive on a particular diagnosis that could have spared you a doctors visit at this time. The proposed plan would be the best way t help you find a solution to this right now. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to request for clarifications or more information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.