What to do if child had lump after head injury?

My 11 yr old daughter hit her head and had a really big lump and bit over n hr and the lump is almost gorn Plzcan someone help me im not sure if its a good thing that the relly big lump is almost gorn
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is subcutaneous hematoma... Detailed Answer: Hi, I was able to view the picture sent. The lump on her forehead is a subcutaneous collection of blood. As the area under her scalp and forehead is richly supplied with blood vessels, subcutaneous hematoma is a common feature of head injuries. As long as she does not complain of severe headache or develop vomiting or losses consciousness, you need not be concerned. Ice the area to prevent this lump from growing further. This lump will gradually change its color to bluish - black over a period of time and would resolve. Resolution time is about a week or two. You need not be concerned. Talk to your daughter and assure her. I recommend visit to the ER only if she develops headache, vomiting or if she becomes unconscious. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: What to do if child had lump after head injury? 3 minutes later
She is normally a very full of life and would rather stay up insted shes asking me can she go to bed and is telling me she has a headache I just sent u the picture of her head an hour after she done it
Answered by Dr. Prasad 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: She looks safe... Detailed Answer: Hi, It is difficult to objectively assess her state without a physical examination. However most serious head injuries present with immediate symptoms. Rarely it occurs after an hour. Very, very few have symptoms after a day. When I say symptoms, I mean severe headache, vomiting and unconsciousness. Given that she was relatively alright for the past hour after injury, I feel she is safe. May be she is as scared as you are and therefore would like to go to sleep. Or it's just incidental that she wishes to go to bed. My intentions are not to undermine this situation; but would like to allay your fears. You can keep a close watch on her as she goes to bed. And as described earlier, the chances of her becoming worse from now is not very common. If she has a worst headache or starts to vomit, you can visit the ER. In the meanwhile ice the area. It helps. Feel fee to ask for clarifications. Regards