Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

What to do if accidentally swallowed pieces of broken ceramic knife?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 5082 Questions
I accidentally swallowed small pieces of a broke ceramic knife. I found the leading edge of the knife broke off when cutting frozen biscuit. However, I found the broken knife after ingesting what I though was thick egg shell. I do not seem have any issues for now - but has a small concern of the little pieces I know I swallowed. Suggestions? (Sit and wait or get an xray)
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sit and wait! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. There is really nothing to worry about. The pieces are sufficiently small to go through the entire digestive tract without any problem. Even pennies have been able to go through the intestines of children who accidentally swallow them without any major problems. My suggestion is to sit and wait. Only seek further medical attention if anything else should come up and not because you swallowed these tiny pieces. I hope this reliefs your fears. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor