What to do for pain with deep breath after bruising on abdomen and rib cage?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I leaned over my stuffed chair and put pressure on my rib just under my breast now it hurts when I bend over or take a very deep breath. I'm 49 post menopausal, 162 lbs 5'5"
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bruising of muscles, not serious. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. From your description, it is most likely to be only bruising you have suffered. This will be bruising of the muscles around your rib cage and upper abdomen. This is why you will be getting pain when you take a deep breath. It is not serious but may cause you pain or discomfort over the next few days until the bruising resolves. It is most unlikely that you have fractured any ribs although I see you take medication that may affect your bones. In the meantime, I suggest paracetamol and ibuprofen for the pain. Keep active it you can. If the pain is still present after a week then I suggest you see your doctor for examination and investigation but I am confident you will feel much better by then. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA