What to do for discomfort in throat caused by swallowing a piece of plastic?

General Surgeon
Hi I accidentaly swallowed a pea size piece of broken plastic straw when I took a drink of my soda. This happened yesterday at lunch. I have felt the object move up n I have tried to regurgitate but have had no luck. I have also been drinking plenty of water and juice to try and swallow it down but again no luck. It seems to be lodged in my throat and although I cn feel movement, not enough to get it out nor through. I have no pain but I do feel discomfort when I swallow and I can feelit in my throat as I breath. I have yet to eat a meal since this happene. Although I dideat a candy bar to see if it would send the straw on its way but it didn't work.that was after lunch yesterday. Another symptom is that I have felt pressure in my chest but again no pain. What should I do?
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Gastroscopy should be done. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. If you feel this straw part is still somewhere in your esophagus and has stuck there for good, you should have barium swallow and gastroscopy done to remove this object. Please note that if you will leave it alone, it may cause an inflammation in the esophagus or stomach. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.