What the extent of liver damage if gamma gt is 700 due to regular alcohol consumption?

I just had a blood test for insurance my gamma gt was 700 what is the damage to my liver. I drink regularly and was taking a lot of paracetamol and codeine which I have now stopped I have also reduced alcohol intake will this help
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: hello and thank you for sending the question. It is very difficult to predict what type of damage has happened or what you might expect in the future. We can say that it is very important that you discontinue alcohol consumption until a doctor can fully assess your liver. if discontinuation of alcohol is very difficult for you you can talk about this with your doctor and he might provide you with some medication to help make this whole process much easier. I think if you really focus on your general health and try to eliminate things which can potentially limit your quality-of-life this will ultimately improve your future. I hope this has been helpful. I am available if you have additional questions regarding this matter. Dr. G
Follow-up: What the extent of liver damage if gamma gt is 700 due to regular alcohol consumption? 18 minutes later
Is this reading indicative of liver failure or could it just be fatty liver, I generally feel well and no jaundice does this reading usually mean liver failure or could it be just be fatty liver
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Followup Detailed Answer: This could easily be just fatty liver. I don't want you to become worried in this situation. One day at a time and one test at a time and your doctors will get to the bottom of this. Most likely it is not serious but is something that should be investigated.