What tests should be done in an annual medical checkup?

Dear Doctor, I want to get an annual medical checkup done for my family, and I need to know what tests are to be done for each. It will be good if we could cover a wide number of tests. I want to ensure that the vital organs are covered with different tests, and tests for diabetes, cholesterol, and other diseases etc. are covered too. My family details: Me - 31 year old male, no bad habits, eat junk food occasionally, have occasional hypertension (100/140) Wife - 29 year old female, no bad habits, eats junk food occasionally, have hypothyroidism, and is being treated for the same with eltroxin by a specialist. Mother - 60 years old female, no bad habits, was diagnosed with borderline cholesterol a few months ago, and we were told that it's age related. No other health issues. Father - 62 years old male, no bad habits, was diagnosed with borderline cholesterol, but he was able to bring it down to normal with regular morning walks. He has a slightly enlarged prostrate gland, and had trouble passing urine normally. However, he was prescribed a tablet by an urologist that he took for a month, and he's better now. Kindly suggest medical tests that needs to be done for each one of us. Many thanks, Rajesh.
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: go for comprehensive health check up Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query, and I appreciate your concern for better health for your family and you. Here are the tests for each of you: For you: Complete Blood Count (CBC), fasting lipid profile, renal function test (RFT), Liver Function test (LFT), Fasting and Post Prandial Blood Sugar (FBS and PPS), HbA1c, Urine routine, stool routine, Chest X-ray, ECG and screening ultrasound of the abdomen. For your wife: Same as above along with Thyroid Function Test (TFT) and PAP smear. For your mother: Same as you + PAP smear For your father: Same as you + Serum PSA levels Hope this helps you. Regards,
Follow-up: What tests should be done in an annual medical checkup? 22 minutes later
Dear Doctor, Thank you for the information. My mother in law took up a test called "glycolated haemoglobin" or something like that, which helped her diagnose her diabetes, although the normal diabetes blood test didn't show that she had diabetes. Can you please let me know about this test also, and what should I specifically ask for in order to do this test? Thanks, Rajesh.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: HbA1c is Glycosylated hemoglobin test Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX HbA1c is Glycosylated hemoglobin test. I have mentioned this test for you in my initial answer. Yes, you are right. This test helps to diagnose Diabetes when the routine blood tests fail. I hope it is clear to you now. Regards,