What tests can be done to test vitamin and mineral deficiencies in the body? Hair analysis can be done?

Question
Hi Dr.

I want to know what test to be done for knowing the Vitamins and Minarel deficiencies in the body? whether Hair analysis in Trichology can be done or is there some other test is there?
is so could you tell me what cost will incurr for that test?

XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

First of all, the symptoms are an indication to vitamin and mineral deficiency in the body. These often include shortness of breath, weakness, being ill more than usual, unusual sensitivity to cold, mood swings, hair loss, pale fingernails and pale eyelids.

Then an assessment from a physician can also tell us about vitamin and mineral deficiency. Lastly investigations for the same can be done by hair analysis and blood tests. Hair analysis consists of taking a hair from your head and thoroughly checking for signs of mineral deficiency or metal exposure. The use of hair ensures accuracy because hair tissues change slowly

A blood test can also be helpful in uncovering signs of vitamin or mineral deficiencies, especially with iron levels. So the levels of minerals and vitamins in serum can also be done.

The cost of hair analysis and blood tests can be in thousands (approximately 4000-5000 rupees) In India but varies from lab and cities. You can get it done from a good laboratory in your city.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: What tests can be done to test vitamin and mineral deficiencies in the body? Hair analysis can be done? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. for replying back.
i have symptoms of shortness of breath, weakness, unusual sensitivity to cold, mood swings, hair loss all these. Some times joint and back pains too i have some pain in Tooth also, dry skin is this all bcas of Vitamins or minerals deficiency?

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

One possibility to be ruled out in your case is of hypothyroidism. The other possibility is of vitamin D deficiency. Symptoms of hypothyroidism are fatigue,depression,weight gain,cold intolerance,dry, coarse hair and skin,constipation, muscle cramps,decreased concentration,vague aches and pains,menstrual disorders,palpitation and swelling of the legs.

I feel that you should consult a physician and get yourself and your thyroid hormone levels evaluated.

Follow-up: What tests can be done to test vitamin and mineral deficiencies in the body? Hair analysis can be done? 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

I done a boold check for hypothyroidism its normal. can you tell me what are the symptoms of Vit.D just two days back i started having some twitching in my spine and foot.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back to me.

Deficiency of vitamin d causes pains and aches, severe pain, weakness, osteomalacia and bone pains. Vitamin D deficiency is treated with supplements of vitamin D. These supplements can also be used for prevention.

You should get your serum vitamin D levels checked from a physician.