What test should be done to diagnose measles and other childhood infections?

Allergist and Immunologist
hi,sir i am doing house job in XXXXXXX MEDICINE.i wanna know some information about immunology for childhood i got measles and some other childhood infections.i am fine no complications.

By measuring levels and types of igG and igM we can tell did patient get that certain infection or vaccination against that certain infection.can you tell me what lab tests can be performed to check that did i get following infections or exposour with following organisms in my childhood?i want this for my health record and also later on i wanna apply for UK and USA immigration and visa.

3)varicella zoster virus
4)small pox
6)coxsakie virus B,A9
7)echovirus 6,16
9)Epstein barr virus
11)lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus
12)group b arbovirus
13)parvovirus B19

Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later

The routine tests offered by Microbiology & Immunology laboratories involve IgG and IgM antibodies against infectious organisms. As you know IgM test is for an active / on-going infections against infections (be it viruses, bacteria, etc) and the IgG test shows active immunity (if you have been vaccinated) or a previous infection (especially for viruses such as LCV, arbovirus etc).

Though serological test that looks for IgG and IgM antibody are available for most bacterial and most common virus, all laboratories will not offer tests for every virus / spirochete / bacterial responses. So your primary target is to find a referral laboratory (CDC recommended) where all the above tests are done. I am unable to help you in this regards. Once you find the laboratory, you may go for IgG antibody levels against the organism.

Apart from this, tests such as tetanus IgG antibodies, HiB IgG, pneumococcal IgG will not only show if you have been immunized, but also if you retain immunity at this time. This is the same for rubella IgG, Cytomegalovirus IgG, measles, etc.

Hope this was useful. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Follow-up: What test should be done to diagnose measles and other childhood infections? 17 hours later
thanks for your help.there are different serological tests to measure the levels of igG in serum like ELISA,western blot, direct and indirect immunoflouresence.i wanna know what specific serological tests can be used for each organism.thats why i posted this question here.

PLZ Can you mention specific tests for each organism i mentionioned in my first question?
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 6 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

I shall specify the tests against each of the organisms listed.

1) Measles:- IgG - ELISA
2) Mumps:- IgG - ELISA
3) Varicella zoster virus:- Immunoflourescence (IF) from lesions; or IgG/M ELISA
4) Small pox:- No relevant test
5) Rubella:- IgG - ELISA
6) Coxsakie virus B,A9:- IF
7) Echovirus 6,16:- IF
8) Cytomegalovirus:- IgG - IF or ELISA
9) Epstein barr virus:- IF (EBV CA or EBV EA)
10) Adenovirus:- IF
Biochip mosaics (TM) available from Euroimmun for all above IF tests.
11) Lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus:- IF (check with aruplab)
12) Group b arbovirus:- IF
13) Parvovirus B19:- Semi quantitative ELISA (check with aruplab)

1) Typhoid:- Blood culture / Widal test
2) Brucellosis:- blood culture for acute infections; serology ELISA IgG / IgM
3) Leptospirosis:- IgM - dot blot

Hope this suffices. Let me know if you have other enquiries.
Please close this discussion if you have no other queries.