What test should be done for testosterone level, estrogen level and dht levels?

Question
hi
i am a male . 21yrs old
i want to test my testosterone level,estrogen level and dht levels. can you please tell what are the test names so that i can get tested.
i recently took finasteride to block my dht levels thinking that it is the main reason for my hair loss. after taking those tablets i feel pain during my erection and also i have breast development( don't know whether it's due to fat or high estrogen level).
Thus want to get tested.
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 39 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

The name of tests are:-

(i) Serum Testosterone,

(ii) Serum Estrogen, &

(iii) Serum Dihydrotetosterone

If you have further query in this regard, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: What test should be done for testosterone level, estrogen level and dht levels? 4 hours later
the diagnostic people say that there is no test called as Serum Dihydrotetosterone so please tell the actual test name to test my dht levels.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 15 hours later

Welcome again,

The name of test is same. But it is not common.

In routine, estimation of Testosterone is done for this purpose.

In adults about 5% of testosterone gets converted to more active dihydrotestosterone hormone.

But Finasteride stops its conversion to Dihydrotestosterone.

Once you will stop using finasteride, conversion of testosterone to DHT will again start.

You can ask main laboratories like Super Raligare located at Kundalahalli Gate and Vasanth nagar about availability of this test.

In my opinion, you should consult an Endocrinologist, and let him decide tests required for you.

With good wishes,