What test should be done for post monitoring of neuroblastoma in addition to MIBG scan?

Pediatrician, Cardiology
What kind of monitoring tests are required to carry out for post monitoring of neuroblastoma in addition to MIBG scan
Posted Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Thanks for the query
Its good to know that your daughter is doing well after treatment with chemotherapy as suggested by normal MIBG scan. In fact response to treatment mainly depends on the extent of metastasis persisting( either in bone marrow or soft tissue).

It can be assessed with bone marrow aspiration to see the neuroblastoma cells, PET scan or MIBG. No doubt both PET scan and MIBG is superior to bone marrow aspiration and out of these two MIBG is more sensitive than PET scan to assess the involvement of cortical bone or bone marrow. But if there is suspicion of soft tissue involvement then PET scan should also be done as it is more sensitive for detecting the involvement of soft tissue.
I hope this answers your query well
If you have any further query then I will be glad to answer.
Wish her good health
Follow-up: What test should be done for post monitoring of neuroblastoma in addition to MIBG scan? 40 minutes later
Bone marrow Examination / Biopsy were normal at the time of detection also. hence I feel should be OKAY today also. I understand that MIBG scan is full proof for detection of any kind of neuroblastoma comapred to other tests.

Can recurrence change type of carcinoma also basically can it be other than neuroblastoma, if yes than pet scan becomes necessary
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 4 hours later
Welcome again,
I appreciate your knowledge regarding neuroblastoma. Actually recurrence in neuroblastoma depends on the age,stage,various prognostic markers, previous treatment and upon other individual factors.
Recurrence can occur in form of local or metastatic. Again in local recurrence treatment will depend on the basis of age and favourable and unfavourable biological markers.
In metastasis CNS involvement is common it may be intracranial or spinal. On the basis of clinical symptoms CT scan or MRI may be needed.
If there is any suspicion of PET scan will be helpful.
Now a days in high risk cases treatment also includes autologous stem cell transplantation with good outcome.
Continue the treatment as advised by your physician with regular follow up as now with newer treatment modalities outcome is very good in initial stages.
I hope now this answers your query
I will be happy to answer further queries if any