What symptoms should be observed after a head injury?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My two and half daughter was just running into the bathroom, and as my voice echoed don't run, she slipped and head butted the bathtub. She looks like a unicorn with a big purple bump on her forehead. I used to box in my youth, so I iced it, and have my wife sitting with a bag of peas on the bump. Her pupils are not dilated, and she is very coherent , no sleepiness, or drowsiness....What other things should I be looking for?
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to HCM Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. It looks like hematoma which is typicall after such injuries. It will pull back in next 4-5 days. You should not worry if there wasnt loss of consciousness, more than 3 episodes of vomiting, loss of sensation in arms and legs, vertigo or drowsiness. If she cried after fall,this is good sign. If there is any of these symptoms,she should visit hospital and do xrays or ct scan if necessary. Possiblity that there is skull fracture of intracranial incident is very low. But in next 48 hours be close to her and look for those signs I ve mentioned. Also, during her next sleep, wake her up every 2-3 hours and check her condition. If there is any new sign or change in her acting,you should visit ER. Certain degree of headache is expected,you can give her baby brufen and continue with ice compresses. In next 3 days she should rest, avoid noisy and smoky places and intensive lights. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards