What supplements are best for preventing forgetfulness?

Question
What supplements are best for my aging parents to fend off "brain aging" and forgetfulness. They are in their 70s. My mother is also afraid of Alzheimers because my grandmother had it. Thanks!
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Alzheimer's

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 24 hours later

Unfortunately, there's no definite proven way as yet to prevent Alzheimer's disease.

Many of the same factors that increase the risk of heart disease can also increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia.

It is important to control the high blood pressure, high cholesterol, excess weight and diabetes, if your parents are suffering from any of these illnesses.

Keeping active — physically, mentally and socially — may make their life more enjoyable and may also help reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease.

A regular aerobic exercise for at least 30 minutes at least 5 times a week, some weight building exercises should definitely help.

Doing some regular mental exercises especially reading and thinking. Asking questions and searching for answers really helps.

Interacting with other people and thus being socially active is extremely important and plays a vital role in preventing dementia.

Amongst the vitamins which are known to help are folic acid, vitamin B12, vitamin D, magnesium, and fish oil. Most of these can be had from a good mix of fruits and vegetables, fish and milk.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: What supplements are best for preventing forgetfulness? 2 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX

Understanding that Alzheimer's is not preventable, are there supplements that can actually help in some way such as:

Acetyl L-Carnitine
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Reservatrol (from red wine)

I read about these on the internet as "supporting memory and focus." Do these help in any way? Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

The supplements which you have mentioned are thought to play some role as anti-oxidants and might help in improving the memory.

Thus, these might be of some help and there's no harm in using them.

However, there's no scientific evidence on the basis of the clinical trials that they can prevent or delay the development of Alzheimer's disease.