What steps do I have to take for the adrenal adenoma finding in my CT report ?

Hello, I just had a follow up CT to follow a lung nodule found during an episode of pneumonia in February of this year. The radiologist noted on this follow up a 1 cm adrenal adenoma and has recommended an MRI. I have been reading and very surprised to find that these can sometimes cause high blood pressure which I never had a problem with until February when I was hospitalized with pneumonia and not just a little was actually 160 over 108 bad. Since they have had me on 2 meds and still bad at times for example today 140 over 100. I have been having dizzy spells with rapid heart beat what I imagine a panic attack feels like from descriptions. I am 46 years old 5'10 and 190 pounds. Any thoughts? Should I be concerned about this adrenal finding?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later

The adrenal adenoma that has been detected during the CT scan is releasing the excessive adrenal hormones which are responsible for the sudden very anxiety, palpitations, panic attacks, etc. All these symptoms are attributable to the adenoma detected. This is a benign nodule which will release an extra hormone in your body producing these effects.

MRI has been suggested to find out the presence of any other such nodules in your lungs or other abdomen. If it is a solitary non growing nodule then removal of the nodule is the best way to deal with the hypertension that you are experiencing.

I suggest you to go ahead with the MRI and a few other tests such as blood hormone levels.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What steps do I have to take for the adrenal adenoma finding in my CT report ? 27 minutes later
Thank you so much for your quick response and I will certainly follow through with all tests. One more quick question... are these always benign? How do they know they are benign?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 37 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

Most of the times such solitary nodules are benign.

This is the judgment made by your radiologist based on the appearance of the nodule- usually smooth surfaced and well outlined with uniform echotexture.

The exact diagnosis can be confirmed only after doing a biopsy - preferably an excision biopsy.

Wishing you an early recovery.