What specilaist doctor should I see for lipoma treatment?

Jul 2016

I was diagnosed with a lipoma. Which specialist should I see to have it excised? A Plastic Surgeon or a Dermatologis?
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult qualified General Surgeon. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have been diagnosed to have Lipoma .You have not mentioned the site and size of the Lipoma in your query. Normally as a routine Lipomas are excised by a General Surgeon except in a special situation for cosmetic reasons by a plastic surgeon when it is on the face or too big and require wide excision of the surrounding area and needs rotation of skin flap to have a linear and fine scar Dermatologist has no role to play in surgery of excision of Lipoma. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: What specilaist doctor should I see for lipoma treatment? 18 hours later
The Lipoma is on the crown and the base of my scalp. I have had the Lipoma excised 4 times in the last 10 years. This time, the growth seems a little larger than before. Is it normal that it keeps coming back? Thanks
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Get it excised by a general Surgeon . Detailed Answer: Hello Hello Thanks for follow up. It Lipoma is known to recur again after excision.. Please get it excised by a qualified General Surgeon . Thanks and Regards, Dr.Patil. Thanks for fi