What should i do to cure Bartholin cyst ?

I was diagnosed with a Bartholin cyst about 25 years ago. I still have it and it is the size of a walnut. It has never bothered me. I am 50 years old. Should I have it biopsied or try Sitz baths to see if it will drain?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 39 minutes later

If there has been no change in the size of your cyst over the past 25 years, it is unlikely that a biopsy will be required. However, if the mass is hard, nodular or irregular in outline, it is advisable to consult your doctor. Your doctor will conduct a physical examination and may advise a biopsy if he/she feels it is necessary.

Do consult your doctor if:
You notice an increase in the size of the lump.
The lump becomes painful or tender.
You develop vaginal discharge or fever.
You experience difficulty in sitting or walking.

Sitz baths may help to drain the cyst. If the cyst does not resolve with this, you can opt for surgical drainage of the cyst under local anesthesia.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.