What should i do for a purple,veiny insect bite on my leg?

ENT Specialist
Hi, i am a 27 year old english female living in atlanta, i am 5'8" and weigh about 140lbs. i have no allergies. i have poly-cystic kidney disease (probably not at all relevant!) i have a bite on my leg that was the size of a quarter on saturday-hard, red and warm to the touch. by sunday it was about two inches in diameter and still hard and hot. today it is smaller but is kind of purple, veiny and bruise like. it has a mild itch and doesn't hurt, i also don't feel sick or dizzy. should i be concerned? i have been using cortizone cream for the itch.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The swelling surrounding the bite was due to the allergic reaction induced by the venom of the insect. During the allergic reaction there is usually a superficial and XXXXXXX perivascular (surrounding the blood vessels) interstitial mixed inflammatory cell infiltrate containing mediators of inflammation and eosinophils. This reaction causes redness and swelling in the region of the bite.

As the swelling has subsided significantly, it indicates that the inflammation has reduced and whatever purple, veiny and bruise like thing is left over is the area containing the dead cells as a result of the immune reaction. Now there is no need to worry as the worse things to happen have already passed off and whatever remains will get cleared within few days.

You can continue applying the hydrocortisone cream as it helps in controlling the inflammation and also, take antihistaminics such as fexofenadine to reduce itching.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar