What should be the value of bilirubin and how can I control?

General Surgeon
In December my Bilirubin (Total) was 1.5 and currently it is 1.9.
What should be the value and how can I control? I have already stopped taking oily food.

+91 0000
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Bilirubin referential level depends of the laboratory (every lab. has its own ranges), however usually it is 1.0 mg/dl.
Your bilirubin level is slightly elevated and it slowly rises. Elevated bilirubin level can be caused by fatty liver, liver cirrhosis, liver viral infection, liver tumor, pancreas tumor, bile ducts obstruction due to stones, alcohol abuse, erythrocytes diseases (hemolysis) and many more.

To give you proper advice, some other tests are necessary to rule out mentioned conditions.

That is why I suggest you to visit your doctor and have liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP,AP), direct and indirect bilirubin level, urine analysis, amylase, HbsAg, Anti-HCV. Abdominal ultrasound should be also done.

In a meanwhile you should avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods, alcohol.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.