What should be the dose of contraceptive pills to be taken during the midcycle for protection?

Hi, I'm 34. I want to know what is the correct dose of Primolut N 5mg for contraception? I'm already in 9th day of my cycle without any sexual activity for last 8 months. However I will be sexually active for only next one week (11-16th day of cycle). Along with using condom by my partner,can I take Primolut N for contraception?I've already taken this drug few times for delaying period so I know this suits me. But i never took it mid cycle. So this time,how long and what dose should I take?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 40 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Primolut contains Norethisterone and is mainly used for treating menstrual irregularities as heavy periods,delayed periods,heavy bleeding,endometriosis etc.

Its use as a contraception is not widely used.If your partner is using condom for pregnancy prevention then that is a better alternative and there is no requirement as such for using it along.

On a daily basis you can think of other widely used contraceptive methods.

If you are using it for delaying periods then the maximum recommended time is about 10 weeks and after that periods can be expected within a weeks time.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query.
Follow-up: What should be the dose of contraceptive pills to be taken during the midcycle for protection? 7 hours later
Hi Dr, Thanks for your reply. From your reply what I understand is you are advising not to take Primolut-N as contraception, instead using condom is sufficient. However, can you please elaborate what you mean by "On a daily basis you can think of other widely used contraceptive methods." Since my partner stays abroad, I think there is no need going for OCP or any permanent measure. Since I do not know how efficient condoms alone will be,considering I'm in mid-cycle, I was wondering if I need to take any further protection ? Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up.

I meant initially that you can think of taking oral contraceptives on a daily basis or get implant inserted. I change it now.

But as you have explained that you are not regularly sexually active then OCP is not good choice. Implant is still an option but it can cause some bleeding episodes.

Still the condom it is a very good option and is quite efficient for providing protection against pregnancy even during mid cycle phase.

If there is any breakage or leak during the act(which is rare)then you can consider taking an Emergency contraceptive pill further.

Hope this helps!