What should be the dosage of Novmax for mild throat infection?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor, I had my tonsilectomy done 7 years ago. I have a mild infection in my throat since yesterday. It is irritating and I am not able to swallow anything. It is diffiuicult to talk as well. I took Novmax 500 yesterday night and one in the morning today. I know this tablet would help. Please let me know if I am correct. Please let me know how what should be the dosage of Novmax and how many times. My throat is still irritating. My ear and throat line on the left side is paining.I feel feverish and cold as well. I cant speak or swallow. Please let me prescribe me something that could stop the pain and treat the throat infection.
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: could be an infection Detailed Answer: hello XXXXXXX and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT surgeon who has operated more than three thousand cases of tonsillectomy! I can see from your symptoms that you have an acute pharyngitis. Since tonsillectomy has been done, it is unlikely to be tonsillitis although the area may be congested. You have already started antibiotics so you might be on the right track. However you may want to take these into consideration: -Amoxycillin is a mild antibiotic and the resistance to this is very widespread due to massive over the counter abuse by patients and pharmacists alike. So if you are not feeling better in a day or two then probably the drug is not working or your diagnosis and treatment may be wrong. -The dose of amoxycillin is 500 mg thrice daily but in severe infections the doctor may also give four times in a day. In any case I would earnestly advice you to take this in consultation with your doctor. -You may take any pain killer like paracetamol for your pain in consultation with your doctor. -In many cases, the infection is probably viral where antibiotics may not help much. You can start secondary more effective treatments like salt water gargle, steam inhalation and also take only warm water and fluids. - Hydrate yourself properly and do not take anything cold and avoid head bath for a couple of days -take voice rest and do not strain while you speak -take some over the counter lozenges for your throat irritation (anyone will do, if you are diabetic then take the sugarless ones) -You may also want to look out for development of reflux and take adequate anti reflux treatment in consultation with your doctor. -if your symptoms do not improve you may want to consider further course which includes antibiotic injections and throat swab. In any case if your symptoms do not improve in a day or two then you must consult an ENT surgeon who can examine you properly and decide on the proper course of treatment. Also as a final guidance I would implore you to avoid self medication as it can be XXXXXXX Hope this helps and I will be happy to answer any more queries that you may have get well soon regards Dr Sriram Nathan