What should be normal serum potassium levels in our body?

Potassium 3.9 5 hours before it was 3.5 took 30 meq .while it was 3.9 can something happen ? Too much ? Answer asap
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Normal limits, not high, do not worry Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX Normal serum potassium levels in our body has to be maintained between 3.5 to 5meq/l.Since your potassium levels (3.9 meq/l) are within the normal range you need not worry about it. Variation(low/high) of potassium can cause irregular heart beat and abnormal functioning of the heart. Hope this answers your query. Regards
Follow-up: What should be normal serum potassium levels in our body? 1 hour later
I took 30 meq while it was 3.9 can that harm me? Will it go to high now
Answered by Dr. Praveen 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Potassium in the blood will be 4.2 & is still safe Detailed Answer: Thanks for writing me back. Normally 10meq will increase 0.1meq potassium levels in serum.That means 30meq will raise your potassium by approximately 0.3 which accounts to 4.2 (3.9+0.3) in your blood, which is still within the normal limits and is safe. It is not all high. Having said that, using potassium supplements without doctors supervision can be detrimental. So never do that again. Hope this answers your query.