What should be normal pulse rate?

i take metoprolo for afib 50 mg bid. i took my regular evening dose at 5;30 pm and at to pm i took another dose because i was having an afib episode, my cardiologist told me to take an extra one if needed, so i did, i'm back in sinas rythem but my rate is between 55 and 60 a min is this too low
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pulse rate between 55-60 is OK. Detailed Answer: Hi friend, Thanks for your query. Your pulse rate between 55-60 is perfectly OK. However, please ensure that it does not go down below 55. Heart rate below 55 is likely to trigger another episode of a-fib. I would recommend that it would be safer to take 25mg of Metoprolol (instead of 50mg) as and when you have an a-fib episode. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal