What should be normal BP level?

I am a 74 year old male. I have been taking my blood pressure readings with a wrist device and average around 135/80 on the last 10 readings. Is that border line?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: would be called prehypertensive Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Blood pressure readings are classified as normal, prehypertensive, stage 1 hypertension and stage 2 hypertension. The category a person is given is dependent on both values, the systolic reading (top value) and the diastolic reading (bottom value).These categories are used mainly used for persons not known to have high blood pressure already. (1)Normal: systolic of 120 or less AND diastolic of 80 or less (2)Prehypertension: systolic of 120 to 139 OR diastolic of 80 to 89. Prehypertensive means a person is not known to have hypertension but is at risk of developing high blood pressure. (3)Stage 1: systolic 140 to 159 OR diastolic of 90 to 99 (4)Stage 2: systolic of greater than 160 OR diastolic of greater 100 Your values would be in the prehypertension range, if you are not known to have high blood pressure. This is mainly used to diagnose a person with high blood pressure. This means you are at risk of developing high blood pressure but you do not have it as yet. If you already known to have high blood pressure the goal is for the systolic to be less than 140 and the diastolic less than 90. If you are a known hypertensive, these readings mean your blood pressure is controlled I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions