What should be done to remove excess hair from body?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Actually I am worried about my daughter's bodyhairs. Initially my parents use to say that they would disappear in a year. but now she is 1.5 years and there are body hairs still on her arms , shoulders and back. What do I do for removing this
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 24 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
First as your parents say this downy hair which is present at birth goes off by time , within a few weeks after birth.
Since you say it is on the arms shoulders and back,,it is unlikely o be due to hormonal changes which is of more concern.
Since she is very small and her skin very sensitive at this age, I strongly suggest that you wait for at lest 3 years or so to remove the hair!

If you use any external applications, the root will still be there and hair will keep growing.
For permanent removal you have to use stronger techniques which are not good at this stage!
Anyway consult a good dermtologist nearby if your concern is cosmetic!
As per herbal medicine there is a belief that turmeric powder applications during bath is supposed to retard hair growth!
I do not know how much it is effective in practice!
All the best
God bless