What should be done to relive pain and swelling in the groin after being diagnosed with epidiymitis?

Hi. I was diagnosed with epidiymitis just over 3 weeks ago. I was given a course of doxycycline for ten days but to no effect so was prescribed ciprofloxacin for three weeks, I have eight days left of antibiotics but have not seen any improvement really. The ache has spread to both testicles with occasional swelling. I have a dull ache in my groin area now too. Im doing everything I can as far as "home remedies" are concerned, ie ice pack, plenty of rest, elevation of testicles but am now getting very frustrated to see no improvemnt. I have had blood tests to show negative with chlamydia and HIV. However the blood test did show results of obviously a slight infection. Is it normal for the antibiotics to show no effect at this stage? Thanks XXXX
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Urine culture and ultrasound necessary Detailed Answer: welcome to the forum. The bacteria causing epididymitis is from the urinary tract and hence urine culture is mandatory. It will help to choose the correct antibiotic and meanwhile cipro is good enough. I am happy to note that you are following all possible home remedies. Since there is no response till now, it is wise to get an ultrasound scan of the scrotum done to confirm or rule out epididymis. The fact that response is poor either means that you are not on the right antibiotic or there is alternate diagnosis. Kindly get back for doubts if any------------- truly
Follow-up: What should be done to relive pain and swelling in the groin after being diagnosed with epidiymitis? 9 minutes later
I had an ultrasound which indeed did confirm epidiymitis. So obviously the antibiotics are not working?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Most probably yes. Detailed Answer: Welcome back. It is also better to get examined once more to see if it has not turned into an abscess ( pus pocket). Kindly get a urine culture test done meanwhile. Truly,