What should be done to prevent hearing loss after accidental damage to ear?

Hello Yesterday I was lay relaxing and had a Head massage with one of those prong massagers. One of the prongs has gone in my ear and I felt immediate pain. Later that night when I went to bed I could feel a liquid dripping out of my ear. When I got up to look it was blood. The blood has dried up in a big clump and I have now cleaned it up. It doesn't seem to be bleeding at the moment although I will know better in the morning after I have slept. I have a dull pain and slight discomfort inside my ear. I was just wondering will I end up losing my hearing or is there a possibility my ear will mend itself. I'm just worrying because I don't want to lose my hearing. Would be grateful if you could let me know what I should do and what damage I may have caused. Thank you so much
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more info Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query I understand your concern, however to come to a better conclusion I need more information, please get back to me with the following 1. Was there ringing in the ear along with pain? 2. Do you have giddiness? 3. Is there any reduced hearing from that ear? 4. When you tried cleaning the ear was there pain in the ear canal like that of a wound or scratch? Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards
Follow-up: What should be done to prevent hearing loss after accidental damage to ear? 20 minutes later
When it first happened I nearly jumped up to the ceiling. The pain was sharp and then instantly calmed down. I didn't have any ringing in the ear or giddiness. I don't have any loss of hearing fingers crossed. There is a slight dull pain in my ear that feels as though its quite deep. The prong did go very deep. I hope this helps a little. Thank you for getting back to me
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Thanks for the quick reply Here are my suggestions to you 1. Because you do not have any loss of hearing or giddiness I doubt it has harmed any structures of hearing like the tympanic membrane ( the ear drum) or the middle ear, the bleeding is most likely to be because of an injury to the external ear canal. However since the pain was excruciating and the injury was deep I strongly suggest you to approach an ENT specialist for to know for sure 2. For now, please do not attempt cleaning the ear with a cotton bud or any other cloth as it can worsen it 3. Keep a sterile cotton on the ear canal ( not too tightly) if you its still oozing 4. If there is ooze, itching or bleeding I recommend you go to the ER immediately. I hope I was of help to you, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards
Follow-up: What should be done to prevent hearing loss after accidental damage to ear? 18 hours later
Hello again Thank you for your help. Today the inside of my ear has been uncomfortable and the dull pain has gone slightly worse. It feels like its throbbing and then at certain times its like a stabbing pain. I am going to make a doctors appointment on Monday and see my GP. Do you think this is the right decision? It is worrying me and I'm scared if I lose any hearing. I really hope I don't. Thank you for answering promptly, I am very grateful. Ps under my ear lobe it is making me want to press as its itchy inside but I don't want to touch so I don't make anything worse. Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer: External ear canal infection Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query You have taken the right decision to your gp however ideally you should go to an ENT specialist as they will have better instruments to see through the canal. The itching is because of the wound and inflammation, please avoid scratching it. Tab levocet at night is a good drug to stop the inflammation and itching. I hope I was of help, I wish you good health Regards