What should be done to increase child's strength and immune system?

Allergist and Immunologist
My children's immune systems have been devastated by mononucleosis. My son suffered depression as a result, my daughter continues to struggle six months after contracting the disease. What can I do to help strengthen and rebuild their immune systems?
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 12 hours later

Sorry to note that both your children are going through a rough patch in their life due to a pox virus.

I hope tests have been done to look at their immune system in detail as underlying diseases can sometimes be 'unmasked' by certain viral infections.

More importantly, tests such as Complete blood count, LFTs, TSH, autoimmunity (ANA, TPO antibodies, XXXXXXX profile & dsDNA if screen positive), C3 C4 CH100 AP100, MBL levels including IgG, IgA, IgM, functional antibodies & CD3 CD4 CD8 CD16 CD56 CD19 subsets are standard investigations into the immune system.

You therefore need an Immunologist to request these tests and discuss the results.

If they all come back as normal, a viral induced fatigue such as chronic fatigue syndrome is likely that will require input from Consultant, Physiotherapy, Dietician etc for a start.

Graded exercises are recommended.

I hope that was useful. Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: What should be done to increase child's strength and immune system? 44 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. We have had blood tests done, but most have been simply to determine the Epstein-Barr virus. We have been told there is nothing that can be done when children have mono, but the after-effects seem so long-lasting. Can I take your answer to my doctor as a guideline?
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 9 minutes later
You can indeed but do not know what your doctor will feel about it!

This is standard investigation for suspected CFS as there is no blood test but one must ensure that there is nothing else to explain the fatigue.

If the results are normal, then fair enough, but graded exercises do a lot of help and instill confidence in children. Try not to label this diagnosis.

There are specific patient help groups so join one and you will be amazed what little changes can benefit unknown to most doctors.

Best Wishes.