What should be done if vascular echoes still remain after D&C ?

I was dignosed with empty gestational sac for which my D&C was done on 22 april & i m still bleeding
for 25 days,although bleeding is very less & blackish.TVS shows 16mm vascular echoes remaining.
these hv reduced to 12mm after taking misoprost 200mcg &methergine for 4 days.
My Dr. says to continue medicine for 10 more days.what if echoes still remain?should i go for D&C again?
i m child.also my torch test CMV show IgG index value of 4.13 & IgM 0.23 for which i m prescribed aciclovir for 6 weeks.
is it OK?i m very confused.whn i can be pregnant again?? Do i need torch test for 2nd pregnancy??s PLZ help.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query

I am sorry to hear about your case.Sometimes after D&C vascular echoes can be present and in that case the medications which you have been prescribed are given.Usually after that the echoes do not remain and are cleared up.Bleeding after an abortion can be present for 3 to 4 weeks and gradually subsides.It may take 2 to 3 cycles for the periods to be normalized.
It seems that TORCH infection might have caused miscarriage in your case.Presence of IgG and IgM antibodies reflect the presence of infection and it needs to be cleared up first and then you can think of conceiving as it can cause problems in the growing foetus.The infection can be simply treated by medications.
Usually after the miscarriage it is advised to wait for 3 to 4 months for conceiving as it helps in physical and mental recovery.
You can definitely be pregnant again after all the infections are cleared up.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up as well.
Follow-up: What should be done if vascular echoes still remain after D&C ? 12 hours later
thanks Dr. Mitaly for ur answer.
But today is 27th day after my D&C and bleeding is there.after 2 days i will b going for tvs again and it seems that possibly vascular echoes r still there as bleeding has nt stopped. So, then should i opt for 2nd D&C or again rely on medication?? Also tell me the pros & cons of both the options. what is better in my case??
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 42 minutes later

Thanks for follow up

Bleeding persistent and not decreasing in amount could be due to various reasons as infection or any injury to uterine lining or cervix after D& C.If the cramps have reduced and bleeeding is also less in amount then it is a good sign of recovery.
Usually after the medications echoes are not present and if they are there repeat D& C can be done but is exposes to infection and uterine/cervix injury.
If the echoes are reducing in size then it would be considerable to take the medications but that can be evaluated after examination and USG scan reports.

Wishing you speedy recovery.