What should be done for persistant wrist pain and tingling after an accidental fall?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I took a pretty hard fall last Tuesday. My wrist and foot were sore, but not constant pain, but would hurt to touch especially under the thumb. I went to the Emergency room 2 days later and they x-rayed my wrist and foot and said nothing was broken. It's now almost 7 days since the injury and I'm still have some pain in my wrist, however it's now hurting on the ulnar side, as well as the original spot under the thumb. My fingers start tingling occasionally as well. I don't think it's swollen, if it is, it's minor swelling, and minor discoloration if any. My wrist was popping a lot lastnight when I would move it around. Then as if it weren't enough I slipped on some ice lastnight and drove my right knee into the ground again, and I must of used my right hand to brace myself, because it aggravated it even more. Should I get an appointment with my Primary doctor and maybe get a new set of x-rays?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. I dont think you need another xrays. If there wasnt fracture at first visit ,I doubt that there is fracture now after such minor fall.You are young and you probably have healthy bones still. So there was probably just contusion of soft tissue or tendon contusion. It may take 2-3 weeks till pain disappear. You should take analgetics, put some ice and keep your hand elevated. There may be compression of nerves due to swelling deeper in sof tissue and it will subside soon too. If it persists, you should do MRI or EMG to evaluate it better. Also, cast can be placed even if there is no fracture and it will relieve pain. But I dont think it will be necessary. Just be patient bit more and I am sure it will pass. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards