What should be done for pain management after 6 decompressions and arachnoiditis?

```````````hello Doctor. I am Irish and have had 6 Decompressions on on the spine over the years . I also have Arachnoiditis from the oil-based XXXXXXX used to dectect the reason for the severe pain. The Neurosurgeon has suggested that I have a XRAY guided needle to see if it would ease the painand then He could operate in the nerve if the injection worked. I am veryed worried about a 7 op, but the pain specialist tried to implant a Nerustimulater. It nearly drove to crazy with the pain. I hope you can make some sense out of this and thank you for reading., Sincerely,XXXX
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Need some more details Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I am sorry that you had to go through lot of pain. With history of 6 decompressions and arachnoiditis, I would consider it too risky to go for any sort of procedure. An MRI scan of the spine would be useful to know the wellbeing of the spine and to ascertain the safety needed to g for such procedures. I would like o know the exact name of the procedure he has planned on your spine, I shall then provide my opinion over the same. Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: What should be done for pain management after 6 decompressions and arachnoiditis? 43 hours later
Dear Dr. Raji, Thank you for your opinion The Neurosurgeon said that if. He is a very renow the injection worked, he would try and (I think , kill the nerve,) so to speak.He is very renownd surgeon here is XXXXXXX and I do trust. But I am very wary after all the aurgereis and injections done so far.If it"s possible might you give me your opinion onwhat I think he mat do. Thank you again for your answer. Sincerely,XXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Below is the list Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Based on the information you provided I could think of the below procedures. Below is the list of the procedures one amongst which your neurosurgeon could be planning. 1) Injections to directly deliver steroids or anesthetic into joints, ligaments, muscles, or around nerves. 2) Prolotherapy--This technique involves injection of an irritant solution to stimulate blood circulation and ligament repair at affected site. 3)Radiofrequency radioablation--This procedure involves deadening of painful nerves via heat administered through a small needle. 4)Surgically implanted electrotherapy devices--These are implantable spinal cord stimulators (SCS) and implantable peripheral nerve stimulators. Do discuss with your neurosurgeon on the same. Regards,