What should be done for large lump on elbow caused by accidental fall?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I slipped and fell on my elbow about an hour ago. It does not hurt now. It hurt when I fell on it. Now there is a very large soft lump on the end of the elbow. I have an IR temperature gauge and the lump is about 4 degrees cooler than my lower arm. Is this serious? Do I need to see a doctor? What treatment should I use - heat - cool?
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do ice application. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have studied your case with diligence Due to blunt injury there can be hematoma collection around elbow.The bleeding that occurs result in hematoma collection. Over a period of time, as hematoma resolves it cause local skin symptoms around the hematoma. Do ice application, and thrombhophobe ointment may help and give rest to elbow. You can apply crepe bandage for support. You may need X ray of elbow to rule out any minor fracture. You can consult your doctor by taking appointment, apperantly it does not seems like emergency. Injury doesn’t seem serious. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: What should be done for large lump on elbow caused by accidental fall? 45 minutes later
Thank you. I after I typed my question I wrapped the elbow with an elastic "pressure" type wrapping. The swelling has gone down. There is no discoloration - a bruise type of injury - indicating that there is an accumulation of blood from internal bleeding. I will replace the elastic wrap after I apply ice. What is the fluid that made the "bump?" The lump is very large - it bulged out about an inch and a half - an inch wide and two inches long - the long distance aligned with the arm. How long should I keep the elastic wrap and the application of ice?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lump -might be blood collection due to vein/muscle Detailed Answer: Hello again Lump -might be blood collection due to vein/muscle injury.It is known as hematoma collection. You can use crepe/wrap for around 2 weeks ,you can remove for some time in day. Ice application to continue for around 5 days. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.