What should be done for gagging after badly swallowing the food?

My son who is 29 swallowed food and almost choked and now he can't stop comes and goes for the last hour
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi, It is normal to gagging after "badly swallowing the food to almost choking" due to irritation of upper GI tract from bad swallowing food. Do not worry as it will go away within the next 24 hours. Please advise him to: - eat slowly without rushing - drink more water these couple of days - ask him to wash his mouth and do throat gargles after eating - avoid fatty/processed/oily foods for some days - if he feels to vomit; let him vomit, as this will alleviate his symptoms Please let me know if you need other assistance! I'd be honored to help you! Dr.Benard