What should be done for food stuck in wind pipe?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I just swallowed a piece of lettuce down the wrong pipe. I am breathing but it feels weird in my lungs. Is it going to be okay? I can't seem to cough it up and it is scaring me.
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Usually does not cause problems. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. It seems that a few fibers of lettuce are stuck up in your wind pipe which you are not able to cough up. Since there is no difficulty in respiration there is no need to worry. This will gradually come out after sometime. You can try back blows or abdominal thrusts for relief. The sore feeling in the throat may ease off with steam inhalation. In case any difficulty in breathing is sen then an immediate medical help is needed and you need to attend ER in such a case. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL