What should be done for finger prick caused by infected mouse trap?

Hello, I am a 30 year male. 3 days ago I was trying to lay bait in the mouse/rat trap when suddenly my fingers got pricked by the inside of the mouse/rat trap and blood started oozing out of two of my fingers from multiple places. The mouse trap had been used to catch several mice/rats on the very same day. Do I need to get vaccinated for rabies because of the above accident ? Please guide.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No need to take anti rabies vaccine Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. You must clean the wound and apply antiseptics. Then you should take tetanus toxoid injection. There is no need for anti rabies vaccine. If wound is deep then suturing might be required. Keep the wound area dry and prevent any infections by taking a short course of antibiotics if necessary. If you are having severe pain, taking pain killers might help. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Dr.A.Rao Kavoor