What should be done for dizziness and blurred vision with drop in BP?

Nov 2013

My husband is a stroke patient undergoing rehab. His stroke was hemorraghic (sp?) which occurred on Dec 9th. He developed DVT and had a Greenfield filter placed in his groin yesterday. The EMT's how picked him up from the rehab hospital dropped him in transport on the concrete about 4 feet. He suffered a severe blow to his head (his right side, the affected side). He sustained a concussion. CT scan yesterday did not show injury yesterday - but this afternoon his blood pressure dropped to 70/40 and he is being treated at rehab hospital for shock with saline IV. He has had two IV's and was scheduled for a third. He is experiencing dizziness and blurred vision. I want another CT done. I'm worried that this is an emergency and there is not being enough done for him. Should I insist that he be taken to a full service hospital emergency room?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I agree with you. After the fall from four feet height on a concrete, and in view of fall in BP, a repeat CT scan of brain is required. In addition, we also need to exclude bleeding in any other location (fracture of bones, intra-abdominal injury, etc). This would require clinical examination followed by X-rays and ultrasound of abdomen. His ECG (EKG) and blood hemoglobin should also be checked. So, I would agree with you that your husband needs to be transferred to a better emergency room and hospital set up. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog: