What should be done for calf pain after accidental fall?

I fell on ice today and at the time it hurt so bad I thought I was going to vomit. I then got up and did a four mile hike with pain in my calf. It hurts to walk but I can put weight on my leg. It hurts some even when sitting. Think it is a pulled muscle or do I need to go get an X-ray?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rather than xray clinical evaluation is needed. Detailed Answer: Hello, Since you where able to complete 4 mile hike and also can bear weight , possibility of fracture seems less likely. But soft tissue like tendons or ligaments might have got injured.So with details I wont recommend xray strongly. So ideal step would be to let doctor have a look at it and then decide about xray. Other alternative method is take pain killers, apply ice, elevate leg and apply compression.If this helps to relieve symptoms in two-three days.No need to see doctor or getting xray done. Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards