What should be done for burning and inflammation in brain after radiation treatment?

May 2014

I was treated with radiation on the brain for parts of an inoperable but benign tumor on my brain stem. I have been done with radiation for 2 months but I am still felling burning and inflammation in my brain that is debilitating at times. Is ther anything that can help? I have been taking steroid but am weaning off.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, thanks for writing in to us. A meningioma though benign, but at times is seen to grow fast and cause pressure symptoms. Being in the brain stem region has further caused a high risk and radiation therapy is one of the best options available. It is important to know when you had your last radiation session. Taking 28 fractions of radiation might have helped in decreasing the tumor volume and extension. However, even though we use precision controlled radiation treatment, there exists a small margin of normal tissue around the tumor which is also irradiated for better treatment outcomes. When we talk of brain stem, there are long nerve tracts which carry sensations to and from the brain and the rest of the body. Following irradiation, there is slight brain swelling or edema in the region of the tumor. This may take few weeks to subside. These two factors can still be causing burning numbness in your head region. You must report the same to your radiation oncologist and take any prescribed pain relievers if necessary. Tumor size assessment will also be done following radiation to know the volume decrease of the meningioma. Wishing you good health. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek