What should be done after inhaling nose pin screw?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I have a nose piercing. The screw to that got dislodged and it went down my throat while I inhaled. I feel no pain except a bit of discomfort around around the chest region. Could this be a problem? Should I have it checked? The screw was barely a square centimeter in size
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: more details please. Detailed Answer: Hi Madam, From your history I feel that you have swallowed the screw but I need a few more details to be certain. 1) Did you swallow the screw or inhale it ? 2) If you have swallowed it then did you feel it while it went down your food pipe ? 3) If you inhaled it then did you have choking, severe cough, difficulty breathing? 4) When did the incident happen ? Awaiting your response, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Follow-up: What should be done after inhaling nose pin screw? 8 minutes later
Hi, The screw got dislodged in my nasal cavity and I felt it go down my throat as I inhaled. I did not experience any choking, severe cough or difficulty in breathing. I just felt the screw in the back of my throat and since it is absolutely small, I barely felt it. The incident happened an hour ago. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: nothing to worry. Detailed Answer: Hi. The screw has gone down into the food pipe and then into your stomach. Nothing to worry it will be out tomorrow when you pass motions. If the screw had gone down your wind pipe then it would have caused severe coughing and choking. You are lucky , better be careful next time. Regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.